Investing in housing
London is an internationally competitive, successful city but it is in the depths of a housing crisis.
London needs to build 50,000 homes a year to meet the needs of its growing population but is systemically failing to meet this target. There is no single solution– increasing supply requires action on multiple fronts.
Our Housing Manifesto ‘How to build 50,000 homes for London’ gives our key recommendations.
Here some of the areas we’ve been exploring and solutions we’re putting forward:
- Estate Regeneration, a report with Winckworth Sherwood and Terence O’Rourke looks at three critical factors to consider for an effective new wave of regeneration that supports existing residents
- Homes for Londoners provides a blueprint for how the Mayor of London can deliver the homes the capital needs
- Carrots and Sticks offers an incentives and targets approach to building the houses London needs
- Redefining Density, our study with Savills, found that City Hall and local authorities could support a new wave of housebuilding if they focus on making better use of land by supporting a programme of housing densification.
- The Green Belt: A Place for Londoners? calls on London’s local authorities to begin a re-evaluation of their Green Belt to help solve the capital’s housing crisis. The study by SERC at the London School of Economics, Quod planning consultancy, and London First, also contains a new analysis of what land uses make up the Green Belt inside London’s boundary
- Wasted space to living space, explores how to make better use of surplus public land to address London’s housing crisis
We have also recently sent our response to the GLA’s Draft Affordable Housing and Viability Supplementary Planning Guidance. See our recommendations here.
Contact Jonathan Seager for further information
Download and read our publications on Investing in housing.
- Reports (10 documents)
- Wasted Space to Living Place (PDF, 263.58K, 31 March 2015)
- The Green Belt: A place for Londoners? (PDF, 6.43MB, 24 February 2015)
- Home Truths: 12 Steps to solving London's housing crisis(PDF, 1.79MB, 4 March 2014)
- Moving Out: how London’s housing shortage is threatening the capital’s competitiveness(PDF, 839.01K, 26 September 2014)
- Carrots and Sticks: A targets and incentives approach to getting more homes built in London(PDF, 289.44K)
- Redefining Density(PDF, 5.19MB)
- The Off Site Rule: Improving planning policy to deliver affordable housing in London(PDF, 153.06K)
- Homes for Londoners: A blueprint for how the Mayor can deliver the homes London needs(PDF, 761.75K, July 2016)
- Estate Regeneration(PDF, 13.57MB, January 2017)
- What does the Housing White Paper mean for London?(PDF, 242.25K, 7 February 2017)
- Activities (1 documents)
- London First response to GLA Draft SpG(PDF, 95.19K, 2 March 2017)