Air links for a world city
International air links are vital to London’s world city status.
Access to high quality international air travel is vital for business in the capital. International links have always been one of London’s greatest assets and adequate airport runway capacity is critical to the competitive position of London in a global economy. However, current capacity is insufficient to meet forecast demand.
Business leaders believe that demand in London for flights will continue to grow over the next decade, at or near historic rates. If London is to remain globally competitive, new runway capacity in London and the South East is required to provide a growing range and direct long-haul flights to business centres and growing economy cities.
London First has campaigned for increased aviation capacity for London that addresses business needs and environmental concerns. We continue to make the case that all options should be considered based on their merits.
Why the South East needs more aviation capacity – Baroness Valentine speech at the Transport Times Conference
A New Strategy for UK Aviation – The Case for New Hub Capacity, speech by Baroness Jo Valentine at the Transport Times Aviation Conference (18 April 2012). read below in the library section.
Reform of airport regulation – putting the passenger first
We campaigned for a fundamental reform of regulation to put the passenger first. We were pleased that the Government announced its intention to adopt proposals to overhaul the regulatory regime, and committed as part of its consultation to give the regulator a new primary duty to further the interests of passengers. The Government introduced the Civil Aviation Bill to Parliament on 19 January 2012.
London First sat on the Government’s South East Airport Taskforce, chaired by Aviation Minister Theresa Villiers, to examine how to improve the passenger experience within current capacity constraints at Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted. Read more
Contact Rob Fox for further information
Download and read our publications on Air links for a world city.
- Reports (8 documents)
- London, Britain and the world: Transport links for economic growth - executive summary(PDF, 226.51K, February 2012)
- London, Britain and the world: Transport links for economic growth - full report(PDF, 2.34MB, February 2012)
- Jo Valentine's speech to the Waterfront Conference(PDF, 155.94K, December 2010)
- Business leaders' letter to the Sunday Times(PDF, 151.51K, 4 March 2012)
- Developing a Sustainable Framework for UK Aviation: Scoping Document(PDF, 149.94K)
- Report summary(PDF, 2.91MB)
- Full research report (PDF, 2.38MB)
- Final conclusions(PDF, 129.77K)
- Activities (2 documents)
- A New Strategy for UK Aviation – The Case for New Hub Capacity(PDF, 286.17K, 18 April 2012)
- Business leaders' letter to The Times(PDF, 77.83K, 29 March 2011)